The other day I was in the living room watching a movie with our “adopted daughter”, Angela. We were ready and expecting the arrival of some people who were going to join Bruce to watch the Packer x Bear game. The home theatre is set up in the basement and people just go in through the garage (from the outside). We can hear when the garage door opens and closes. We can hear (and feel) when someone opens or closes the door to the home theatre. We can also hear (and feel) when someone opens the door to the stairs that leads to the main floor of the house.Having said all that, I heard movement (and noises). I heard a door opening and people coming upstairs. I knew that would be my son Jonathan and his fiancée. So happy to see them! They are always so busy with school work, jobs, responsibilities, preparation for their wedding, Physical Therapy, etc. Then they went back downstairs. A little later I hear the door opening again and as I hear the steps I tell Angela, now it’s Bruce! Sure enough! And, I can always tell when Victoria comes home! Interesting how I can tell who is coming up the stairs from our basement! By the strength that they use to open up or close the doors, by the strength of their steps I can tell if it is Bruce, Jonathan or Victoria. Each one has their unique accent and rhythm to their movements.
So, with the Sunday’s experience, it made me stop and think about my relationship with the Father! I know my Father knows my every walk, my closing of doors, and my simply breathing. He knows me intimately and He knows me deeply! He loves me unconditionally and accepts me for who I am. As my relationship with my Father deepens I, too, recognize when He talks to me, when He whispers in my ear, when He walks about my house bringing peace and order. And, the same way, I recognize (more and more) how the enemy tries to lie to me, how he tries to touch my body (or anyone in my family) with sicknesses and ailments, how he tries to distract me from spending time with my Lord, how he tries and tries to move me from my position of dependency on God! Oh, Satan, you are a loser!So, here is Psalm 139:1-18, re-written and applied to my own situation:
For the director of music. Of Neide. A psalm1. Lord, you know me so well and so deeply!
2. You know my ever movement. You know when I’m going to get up and when I’m going to sit down. You know what my next thought will be even before I do.
3. You know when I’m going out of the house and when I’m going to lie down. You know me so well that you know my favorite places to go.
4. Before I think of a word, You already know what I’m going to say.
5. Your presence is behind me and before me, you are all around me!
6. That’s an amazing thing to realize! That’s TOO WONDERFUL FOR ME, even too much to grasp!
7. There’s just no way I can flee from your Spirit! There’s no way I can run away from you!
8. If I travel in the biggest airplanes and go up high, you are there; if I dig the deepest hole on earth, you are there.
9. If I reach the very place where the Sun appears, or if I reach the farthest seashore,
10. Even in those places you will guide me, your strong and mighty hand will protect me.
11. If I think that the darkest night will hide me and every light around me will go out,
12. Even the darkest darkness will not be dark to you; you can see me through the dark just like you see me in the day, because there is no limitation to you and your power.
13. You created MY INMOST BEING; you knit me in my mother’s womb like I knit my scarves (each stich is so important and crucial for the whole scarf).
14. I praise you because you have created me so uniquely and so amazingly; everything you do and make is so WONDERFUL, I know that for a fact.
15. Even in the depths of my mother’s womb I was not hidden from you, in fact, that’s where you wove me together.
16. Your eyes saw my body even before it was formed; and all the days of my life have been ordained by you and prescribed in your book before I was even born.
17. HOW INCREDIBLY LOVED I FEEL BY THOSE THOUGHTS, GOD! How infinite are the sum of those thoughts!
18. If I were to count them, I would simply loose track because they are more than the numbers I can even tell – when I wake up, I am with you, always with you, still with you, forever with you.