terça-feira, 22 de julho de 2014

MERE HUMANS


Last Sunday we visited a small church here in East Tennessee. The preacher, a young guy, the Youth pastor, preached on Pride x Humility. It was simple, fast paced speaking, I took notes and have been pondering everything he said. Also, as I am focusing on the book of Isaiah the Lord has been speaking to me on the same subject. And to top it all off, I have been weeding my flower garden around the house and that has given me a lot more insight on what the Lord wants to do in me! I thought I would share some, because maybe, just maybe, He wants to do the same in you and others.

LOFTY & HUMBLE
Isaiah 2:12-18

“The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled), for all the cedars of Lebanon, tall and lofty, and all the oaks of Basham, for all the towering mountains and all the high hills, for every lofty tower and every fortified wall, for every trading ship and every stately vessel. The arrogance of man will be brought low and human pride humbled; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day, and the idols will totally disappear.”
The text starts out with “The LORD Almighty!” It is establishing who the LORD is! He is the Almighty. He has a “day in store” to deal with the proud and lofty. That is, with all that seeks themselves as “exalted.” Webster defines “lofty” as “rising to a great height: very tall and impressive; very high and good: deserving to be admired; showing the insulting attitude of people who think that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people.” Wow! As I think about that, I ask myself, am I “lofty?” am I prideful or arrogant? If I am, Lord, I want you to deal with me. And the text goes on to say that the Lord WILL deal with the arrogant, WILL bring men low and will take care of people’s prideful attitudes. The LORD alone will be exalted! And the “idols” will disappear. So, do I have any idols in my life, Lord?

The problem with having a relationship with the Lord and asking Him questions is that He WILL answer them!
And Isaiah, one of the greatest prophets, goes on to say (Isaiah 2:19-21):

“People will flee to caves in the rocks and to holes in the ground from the FEARFUL PRESENCE OF THE LORD AND THE SPLENDOR OF HIS MAJESTY, when he rises to shake the earth. In that day people will throw away to the moles and bats their idols of silver and idols of gold, which they made to worship. They will flee to caverns in the rocks and to the overhanging crags from the FEARFUL PRESENCE OF THE LORD AND THE SPLENDOR OF HIS MAHESTY, when he rises to shake the earth.”
First of all, people will do those things WHEN they realize and understand the FEARFUL PRESENCE OF THE LORD AND THE SPLENDOR OF HIS MAJESTY. Now, my husband has been digging deep about those ideas. The ideas that the Lord, the all Powerful one, the merciful one, the Good Father and Shepherd, is also FEARFUL! In the presence of the FEARFUL God no one will just stand there! Everyone will FLEE (if they have things to hide, much like Adam and Eve who hid when they had sinned.) And it also says that they will do that when He rises to “shake the earth.” So, I think to myself, God shakes the earth! It is He who makes earthquakes, and hurricanes, and controls all the natural disasters and phenomena. He IS the Almighty. No doubt about that! And, the same who gives life is the One who decides when one will die or will suffer calamities. If we accept the good from God, how will not accept the bad also?

And to finish this chapter, Isaiah sums it all up (Isaiah 2:22):
“STOP trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?"

Mere humans!
Why trust in them?
Mere humans!
I will not!
Mere humans!
All they have is but a breath in their nostrils.
I do too!
Mere humans!
Sinful people just like me.
Mere humans!
Why would I hold them in esteem?
Mere humans!
Why would I put them in a pedestal?
Mere humans!
I will not! I would not!
Mere humans!
 
Neide Colson.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário